Its 31st Dec and Taipei, like all major cities around the world, take the New Year countdown as a big deal. We had experienced this before, few years back and we were back to enjoy the Taipei Countdown once again.

The last breakfast for year 2010.

Been having this egg pancake for the past few days and still can’t get sick of it.

After breakfast, we went to the post office to send some of the stuffs we bought home. Although we had upped the luggage limit, it felt like we will exceed (It did, we were 1kg shy of the total weight allowed. Lucky we sent 7kg of the stuffs like books and cosmetics back).

This is one of the old main gates left in Taipei city.

After we sent the parcel, we went back to hotel to do some laundry and came out again later for lunch and some food grabbing.

I was introduced to this dumpling shop from my Taipei guide book. It didn’t disappoint, the dumpling was rich with fatty meat and mushrooms and other fillings. Something like this standard will cost $5 and I only paid NT$55 for one.

Some meatball soup to go with it. Not the usual combination back home, but it works nonetheless.

We got some 飯團 (rice balls?) from the nearby 7-11 and went back hotel. Its time to sleep, because we got a long day ahead of us.


This was what it looked like. Its like 5 hours from the countdown and we were unable to get to 200m from the stage.

The last time, I had a pretty good spot beside some raised platform. It was already crowded by the time I got there so no luck this time round.

From the positions I could get in front of the stage, I cannot get a good view of the artistes performing nor the fireworks coming from 101 later. So we skirt around the building and got onto this wide road leading to 101.

Everyone just camped on the road – its closed anyway –  and turned their cameras towards 101. To these people, the fireworks meant more than the performance.

It was very cold. No matter how much we wore, it always didn’t seem enough. The air was cold, the wind was bone splitting, and we couldn’t leave our spot because as the night went, more and more people came, hoping to get a spot around us. Our area got smaller and smaller…

but when the time came, it didn’t matter anymore…

Taiwan was also celebrating their 100th year.

After the countdown came the taunting task of getting back. It wasn’t easy. Tens of thousands of people leaving at the same time, the nearest few MRT stations were closed off, there were no public bus except the chartered services. We were lost, cold, hungry, thirsty, tired but excited at the same time.

The concert continued after the countdown, for some, this was the main draw of the event.

It took us 30 minutes of walking to get to the chartered bus designated stop, and another 30 to get us back to our hotel room. As per our own tradition, our first meal of 2010. Haha…

We slept like we haven’t done so in a month.